View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005, 02:46 AM

Default fair question.

The situation at the Muckleshoot was very specific, and marked the end of my first year as a poker player. I posted a personal history here a couple months back, but suffice it to say that I did this at a time when there were extreme external situations that had caused me to jump way too deep into the poker world before my skills were sufficient to justify it. I have since quit for a time, regrouped, revamped my game from top to bottom, and have posted a winning year this year. And, yes, I do have detailed records to prove it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The big thing for me is the bankroll rather than the ring game play itself (although I just picked up SSH, and I expect that will improve my ring game play a bit, as well). Plus, no matter how well I play, variance will be an issue, and since I'm a relatively new player on a short bankroll, I'm aware that the psychological challenge will also be greater for me than for more experienced and more financially well-grounded players. Thus, it's a situation I'd like to stay out of until I'm better prepared for it.

On a positive note, I did make trips to two local rooms tonight, and got some good info on this subject. According to the Silver Dollar manager I talked to, prop play isn't required, although it is considered "a courtesy to other dealers". I pressed a little bit on this, and got a clear answer that whatever else it is, prop play is not a job requirement. So that much looks good.

By sheer chance, I also ran into an old friend from the Muckleshoot who just started working at SD as a dealer. This was a really nice surprise, and she also had some good suggestions for me, as well as just general catching up.

All in all, a good research expedition.

Will report more as it comes in. Now, back to reading the responses in this thread (and thanks to all who have contributed so far -- the Omaha/8 tip is something I hadn't thought of, and I definitely will start working on it).

q/q