View Single Post
Old 01-09-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Ultra high buy-in SnG...beatable?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We don't have to be *that* good, and I know you meant the average game. But we *are* that good, and it's because of the PP stucture we have broken down into a science. Gig will make more moves, I will press harder at the bubble, and Dr. will never make a mistake, but we all have the nuts and bolts down dead solid perfect. COuld Negreanu play them better than us? In time,(not much), I'm sure of it. COuld he get 2 to 3x our winrate? No chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd like to reference Phil Ivey's article on The Art Of Winning at www.cardplayer.com where he discusses the differences in skill level from $400-$800 to $4000-$8000 when it comes to elite players adjusting. i think given time to adjust, i believe players like Daniel Negreanu, Barry Greenstein, Gus Hansen, and Phil Ivey would eclipse , outplay, and outperform Party Poker's current $215 gatekeepers. even then, it still comes down to whether the stakes are high enough to warrant their time.

i thinks it's easy to get overconfident about $215 SNGs where oftentimes you're playing against opponents no where near world class ability. try bringing the stakes up to $15000, $20000, $35000, and $50000 where you start to attract a whole different level of smarts, play, psychology, and bankroll...
then let's see if Dr_Gammon stays rock solid, let's see if you (Daliman) press harder on the bubble, or if Gigabet makes more moves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with what you say, but then, I did in the first place. I guess the best way I can explain it is by saying if you have a guy who is a top 300-600 ring player who is making 1 BB an hour long term (highly unlikely, from what I hear about high limits, but either way..), Ivey is not going to come into the same game as this guy(let's say he replaces him so his EV is not dropped by having a top player at the table..) and beat it for 3BB's a hour long term. Same thing applies to SNG's. You are never going to find a situation where the best player in the world is going to have 3x better results than the best players there at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's debateable though, because again, you speaking about $215 SNGs...not $30600 ones. your confidence in your play/skill level and that of others like Dr_Gammon, Gigabet, ZeeJustin, spyhard, etc. is based predominately on a game at a stake that you are comfortable and familiar with. i think, IMHO, that players like Ivey would eclispe Party's current $215 crop given adjustment to their structure and if the stakes were higher. the title of this thread deals with ULTRA HIGH BUY-IN SNGs, not the $215 ones that Party's elite grind out and are confident in beating.