View Single Post
Old 01-08-2005, 04:14 AM

Default PP NL$100 6-Max Personal BB/100 challenge.

I've got 24k hands in PT at these stakes and am missing an estimated 10k hands from before I had PT.

Over this period my BB/100 Hands has gone from
6k: +5.58
8k: +7.84
7k: -2.83
3k: +5.93

Now I know negative downswings are supposed to be a part of variance but I really think my negative 7k swing was just due to bad play. I do recognize though that that +7.84 was a nice upswing. When exams end for me in a week I'm setting myself a goal of maintaining at least +5.5 BB/100 for 20k hands, with a consistency over every 2.5k session.

My preflop statistics have been pretty consistent, but generally getting tighter. I'm really going to focus in on evaluating my hand-by-hand play before I start up again, and hopefully post some thoughts.

I doubt if people care that much, but I figure if I post this up it'll commit myself to this goal instead of wandering off into tournaments, NL$200 or trying to win the Badbeat jackpot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

My current analysis shows three huge leaks:
1.) AJo & AJs and to some extent AQo.
2.) Two pair.
3.) Play on monotone flops.

On all three accounts they are overplayed. The problem with two pair is that I'm getting two pair mostly out of the SB/BB and I end up with both a.) a crappy two pair b.) a crappy two pair in an unraised pot c.) a crappy two pair in an unraised pot out of position.

The good thing is I've since understood the importance of position and the truly vulnerable nature of two-pair that isn't top-two.

And I've noticed an inconsistency with the way I play pair+flush draws. I can't say if I play them badly, but I'm certainly a little confused. For a while I went into check-call mode, and on another I turned it into the holy nuts and raised-all-in almost exclusively. I don't think either is great. I think probably the best line is to take the initiative but not become over aggressive or carried away. Facing big reraises has often meant bigger hands than top pair -- the only hands I really want to tangle with.

Finally there is a noticable statistic gone wrong in my downswing, and that was aggression on the flop. My preflop aggression has been consistently passive (<0.3) but I notice my biggest problem with the downswing statistics is my flop aggression is < 1.0. I suspect an unwillingness to follow up PF raises, giving up hands like AK unimproved without good reason OR a slowplay that costs me pots. My other runs have shown flop aggression levels of over 2.0.

Table selection and player-hunting has been an issue. I've gotten pretty good at recognizing unfavorable tables and moving on, but that is less of a concern than my actual play. Dealing with LAGs, meta-game stuff and the works is interesting but this is a really just a refinement of some ABC's really.

If this doesn't make any amount of sense to you don't worry too much about it. It's all just a bunch of stupid numbers [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].