View Single Post
Old 01-07-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Response to jcm4ccc and Eastbay

I won't address it specifically, but you are way off on your analysis of my family.

[ QUOTE ]
Eastbay used the word “entitlement.” I think that is absolutely correct. There are people who abandon college and capitalism and live a simpler life. I respect that. But that’s not you. You want the benefits of college and capitalism (good paying job that interests you) but you don’t want to work for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it horrible of me to try and find out if there is a way to get a well paying job that interests me without having to work very hard???

Am I a bad person because I'd like to get a useful degree in an interesting subject that doesn't require me to work my ass off?

I never once said that I deserve to be more successful than those less intelligent than me. I don't believe that I do. People who work hard and are good at what they do absolutely deserve to be successful.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I’m definitely Math/Science oriented as far as my intelligence . . . I have yet to take any math since High School

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, don’t even think I need to comment here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this is supposed to be some sort of contradiction? I have a natural aptitude for math/science related subjects. However I dislike these classes. Therefore I haven't taken any in college. Tell me what is wrong with these statements.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I do not do homework unless I must . . . I don't really read the material either, but I would if it was very interesting to me

[/ QUOTE ] So it is the textbook writer’s fault that you do not read the material?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, and I don't see your point here.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Difficult concepts are fine with me. What I'm bad at is something that takes a lot of studying to do well in.

[/ QUOTE ] Eastbay has already commented on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll address Eastbay's comments here, as I don't feel like starting another post.

The two of you think that the above is a contradiction. I certainly don't see it as one. Maybe it's a difference in our definitions of 'difficult'.

I'll give examples of the two types of things I'm talking about here:

Symbolic Logic. A lot of people have a great deal of trouble understanding translation from English to Symbolic Logic and vice versa; Especially when you get into universal and existential quantifiers. Many classmates of mine just don't get it, and no matter how much studying they do, never fully understand it. I understand it right away. Since most students I know never understand translation in symbolic logic, I consider it a 'difficult concept' that I grasp easily.

Human Anatomy. To learn about all of the parts of the human body and understand their function requires hours upon hours of studying and memorization. I consider this a concept that is not 'difficult' but requires hard work. This is where I am no good.

Were we talking about different things here?

Do you disagree with the ability to be good at one of the above examples and not the other?

[ QUOTE ]
What about classes where you need intelligence, but you also need to work hard? You don’t seem to like those classes either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like these classes unless I am interested in the subject matter. Is that okay?

This is from Eastbay's post:
[ QUOTE ]
oftentimes the most gifted at higher levels of math are mediocre at best at high school level thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't argue with you on this as I haven't taken any higher level math. It seems hard to believe that the most gifted at high level math were not very good with more basic math. If this were the case, wouldn't a math SAT score of 500 indicate aptitude for high level math over an 800? Doesn't make sense.

I think you may be witnessing more students in high level math classes with 620s to 680s than 800s because there are so many more people out there with those scores.

If 90% of students with 800s were good at high level math and 25% of students with 620s to 680s were equally good at high level math, there would be more of the 600s in the world who are good at high level math.

But this clearly doesn't mean that a person with a 650 is close to as likely as one with an 800 at being great at college+ math.

Still Eastbay:
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not trying to start a fight. But I don't think I'm unusual in that I am put off by the attitude of entitlement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to explain myself earlier. I understand 'entitlement' as the attitude of 'I deserve to get things solely because I am naturally superior to others.'

First, is that an accurate definition?

Second, I do not feel this way. That is absolutely an arrogant attitude and I understand people being put off by it.

Let me try to sum up my attitude: I do not enjoy working hard. I would like to be able to find a way to be successful with the least amount of work possible.

If this isn't possible, I will probably not be very successful, or I will find a path that really sparks my interest and work hard at it.

I really don't see how this has been turned into me being a bad person. I have explained how I feel (and I don't know anyone who wouldn't like to find a way to easy success) and I've answered what I consider to be personal attacks without stooping to that level.

Forgive me for any gross grammatical or spelling or thought errors. I tried to focus but I just got my wisdom teeth out and I'm still recovering from the anesthesia and I'm on vicodin.

-Jman28