View Single Post
Old 01-07-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: super system 2 review

[ QUOTE ]
My plan now is to dive into SS2 fully, and have no intentions of ever bothering to read SS1. Do others share my outlook, and/or does it sound reasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have yet to receive SS2, but I think your assessment of SS1 is right on. SS1's reputation as "the bible" was built long ago, when there really was no other source of decent information. It was a very good book, but nothing really spectacular except that it was first.

IMHO, you can safely ignore SS1. I'm not sure whether SS2 is meant to replace it, add on, or just use the SS name to sell more books, but all the relevant information is now available elsewhere. Some of the info in SS1 is even plain wrong now, as the players and quality of play, as well as the games themselves, have changed drastically. You mentioned the chapters on games that aren't played anymore, and the limit hold'em chapter was written with a different blind structure in mind - he calls the game "mechanical" and implies that it's easy. That isn't true in the current structure, meaning that a lot of the information no longer applies, at best, and can be very dangerous for newer players who might not realize the differences.