Thread: SSHE
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 02:18 AM

Default Re: SSHE

Thank you for your very infomative response. I haven't been holding out on you. I copy and pasted this post in two different sections of the forum. I hope that isn't against the rules. In the live NL games i play in, it's easy to see how i would have proper odds to make calls with drawing hands because the bets on the flop thru the river are usually much smaller than the pot and the fairly loose nature of the games gives me good implied odds with almost any draw and great implied odds on deceptive draws like sets and double belly buster straights. Where i have been having trouble is in the online games I play. The bets in these games are generally pot sized bets on each turn giving me horrible effective odds right? In these games would i need to fold any flush draw that couldn't win with out the flush to a heads up opponent i didn't think would pay me off if i hit. the initial pot size plus his pot sized bet plus my pot size call would give me 3-1 pot odds right? Then i would need to get another bet at least 1/3 of the size of the pot once i've called to show 0 EV for this play with my +ev coming from any bet i get my opponent to make or call once i've hitover 1-3 the size of the pot on the turn or river. If i knew i couldn't get this payoff the call would have -ev right, but on the other hand if i knew i could get the 1/3 pot sized bet or more once i hit the call would have +ev right? Would having just one other caller remove my dependence on getting paid off once i hit? This thinking really does make sence to me right now so if i am wrong please tell me.

But about the book, i guess what i am worried about is some of the recommendations especially in what hands to raise assume that even if your raise leaves you heads up on the flop the maximum bet your opponent can make would be 1/4 the pot, giving you the odds to draw to a flush or OESD if you hit it on the flop and had no other outs to win. In a NL game where you can't assume the 1/4 pot bet, it seems like raisng could leave you heads up in a situation where you can only profit from multiway action.