View Single Post
Old 08-30-2001, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Defense Spending

Theme: I keep my gun loaded and so should you.

There is no doubt our defense spending is mismanaged and costs us more than it should due to inefficiency and pork-barrel orders that benefit corporate contibutors to members of congress. That is a mess, certainly.

However... I hesitate to downplay the importance of a strong military. I simply refuse to believe that this is the first time in the history of the human race that the world is a safe place. The rest is in the details. We may need to spend more, we may need to spend less and just focus more on certain aspects. Whatever the approach we need a strong military because humans suck.

Remember, World War One was called the "war to end all wars". In the aftermath, many of the world's most brilliant and influential leaders believed and acted as if we had entered a new era of everlasting peace where it was simply impossible to imagine any kind of threat to the world's peace and freedom. We know how that turned out, and how quickly.

It's easy to become complacent and I don't think now is the time for it. Now is not the time to think of Russia as a harmless old man or to think of China as an eager hopeful participant in responsible world leadership.

Personally, I believe there's a good chance there will be a major conflict in Asia sometime within the next forty years and western nations could easily be dragged into it.

natedogg