View Single Post
Old 01-05-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: qq from party poker level 1

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is calling a 4xbb bet ok with suited connectors and small pairs?

[/ QUOTE ]

As stated earlier, it's more about the % of your stack and % of your opponent's stack. If I start with 1000 and blinds are 10/15 and someone raises to 75, I'm going to call with most pocket pairs (if there are few people behind that might re-raise).

I've heard people say that they'll call up to 10% of their stack for a chance to flop a set and break someone. I don't if this is a standard guideline or not.

Connectors are much trickier since you usually only flop a draw at best. Now you'll have to call a bet on the flop or go for a semibluff. Either way, you will putting in more chips before completing your hand, so your effective odds are worse pre-flop. Hence, I wouldn't call more than 5% of my stack pre-flop with a suited connector, if I called at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

This 10%/5% rule sounds pretty reasonable. With that in mind, wouldn't you want to raise, say 12% of other people's stacks? But if you do that, don't you run into the problem of more all-in reraises as steal attempts?

BTW, noone seems to have noticed that zaphod didn't make a 4xBB bet, he made a 4xSB = 2xBB bet. I normally make a 3xBB bet (as I think most here do), which would have been 90 in this case, and just about 10% of the largest stacks.