View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: 1-Table Forum Health Checkup

I have to agree with Irie here.

There's tons of good stuff showing up all the time in this forum. There's also tons of crap. I'm pained to say that I've likely missed out on many of Irie's pearls he was dreading us all catching, but that was because I was on break.

Meanwhile, I disagree with almost everything the original poster and at least one of the other posters had to say.

Advice such as "don't respond to hands until you've been around a bit" is about as detrimental both to the forum and to the original person heeding the advice as can be imagined.

There are many questions that I believe wouldn't be posted again if the search function was used. That I am fine with as advice, as many posts are so general and so clearly worded (ie "i know this has been asked before") that clearly one could have found them in the archives. That said, the archive and search fuction on this site are a complete mess, and so it's understandable that sometimes people just want an answer, not a 45 minute horrorshow of using the search tool.

Read the archves before posting or asking any questions is pretty zany advice as well. Why not do both?

Flaming is flaming. It will happen on all message boards.

But in general, I think that posts like the OP's where it's "I want this message board to look a certain way, and you're not conforming to that ideal" are about as worthless as worthless posts get.

citanul