View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Showing cards. What\'s your opinion?

[ QUOTE ]
How about a related question.

A third spade falls on the river, you bet big. Everyone else folds (It's an example, so assume whatever other facts you want to.)

Another player asks you -- "Did you have it?" or "Did you have the Ace?" or whatever. What do you do.

Usually (not always) I'll give an answer, which is invariably 'yes' (whether I had it or not). I figure that if someone wants to modify their play based on unverifiable information, it's all good. Plus, I figure that I get a 'free ask' of the same player later in the game if I want it.

Though I can't bank on it (they may be lying to me), my guess is that someone who is asking this information is more likely to be honest when they're asked.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting one.

I hardly ever (read that as NEVER) believe anything I read in the chat. After all, why should you believe another poker player unless you actually see their cards!?

It's normally the case that if someone asks 'What did you have?' or 'I take it you had the A?' then they are normally asking cuz they're so pissed they lost the pot that they really, really, really want assurance that they made the right play. So i don't give them what they want - either by saying the truth or lying. I find it better to annoy them even more just in case it pushes them on tilt...by saying something like.. 'i think I had it but i can't remember', or 'i may have done', or 'Give me some more chips and I may tell you'.

This may not be the 'friendliest' chat but it has worked on occasion to get that call that you really want when you have a monster!

This is the only time I will try to wind players up with chat though! Only because they initiated it!