View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Re: open message to gaming_mouse

This is exactly the sort of explanation that should be available on this site (or linked from this site). Like in a probability forum FAQ. or something. the same fundamental concepts get explained over and over again, and the explanations are almost NEVER as good (in the sense of bestowing lasting understanding upon the initiate) as this one. this is not surprising, because it takes a long time to write one. which is why when one gets written it should go somewhere permanent and easier to find/link to than it would be to shoot off yet another alf-hassed rechurn explanation. maybe there already is such a place and i just don't know about it. maybe i'm just grumpy because i accidentally killed a long and detailed post and had to resort to a short and grumpy summary.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Explain in stupid poker player (me) terms what (24 choose 3) means [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to take a crack at that - I figure as a novice player myself if I can explain it, then I really understand it. Question is, can you bear to read it? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

At a high level (24 choose 3) means how many ways can you pick three items out of a group of 24 items, if the resulting order doesn't matter and if we don't replace the items as we pick them. In 2+2 context it's the total number of _different_ hands in a deal of 3 cards from a deck of only 24.

[/ QUOTE ]