View Single Post
Old 01-03-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: STT basic strategy checklist

[ QUOTE ]
hm.. so in position (button, co, co-1), limp in w/top 40%? then if checked/min bet to you on a two tone flop, bet pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll only bet the pot if its less than $100. Otherwise, I'll bet maybe 60% of the pot, minimum 100. Pot=125...I bet 100. Pot=200...I bet 125.

If there is a min-bet ahead of me, I might bet a bit more since this usually comes from someone who caught a small piece of the flop. They are betting to see if there 3rd pair is good, and will fold if someone shows strength.

In a side game, I usually do bet the pot or close to it. In a tournament, the stacks are not as deep, so I want to keep the pot small even if I have top pair.

The turn is trickier. If they bet into me, I'm going to fold most of the time.

When they check and I'm against more than 1 opponent, I'm usually going to check behind. If I'm bluffing, it's unlikely I'm going to be able to get multiple people to fold, especially since they already called once and now the pot is getting big.

If I have something (like top pair), I'll often still check behind multiple opponents. I'm probably ahead, but don't want to build an enornmous pot that I can't get away from. By showing weakness by checking, this encourages hands worse than mine to bet on the river. Since the pot is not huge, I can call most 1/2 pot sized bets on the river.

If against 1 opponent on the turn and they check, I will check behind a lot, but not all the time. I will bet if I strongly suspect a draw or if I have a decent hand or if I have a decent stack. I'll often bet 50% more chips than I bet on the flop.

If checked to me on the river by 1 opponent, I'll often check behind. However, I'm not opposed to value betting a good hand if both of us can afford it and there are no obvious draws.