View Single Post
Old 01-02-2005, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Fun AK hand with no pair

The $1 lead into the PRF looks extremely weak. PFR knows that a guy that min-bets like that will usually fold to a decent raise. So he raises it. The key here though was that he raised to $8 rather than using the "raise pot" button. To actually choose a specific amount to raise rather than hitting the min raise or pot raise button was definately unusual. So the question is, what would make him do that? After considering it for a moment, it seemed obvious -- He wanted to steal the pot (afterall this is a pretty safe board for stealing) but didn't want to risk a full bet to do it. His scared raise can only mean that he has big overcards rather than an overpair. He can't have me beaten, so now what do I do? Well, BB has already shown that he's weak. Facing a raise and a call I'm pretty sure he'll get out of the way. And the CO is unlikely to have hit this board. So I just call and hope that the others will oblige me in getting out of the way. And they do. Another consideration is that if I cold call here he won't bet the turn again with no pair, so if he does bet I can figure my read was wrong or he hit the turn card, and I can get away cheaply. If he checks then I'm probably in the clear.

I considered betting on the turn/river but figured I'd only get called if my read was wrong.

EP shows AQ and MHIG.

No real point to this hand... it just seemed interesting. A nice example of where it pays to think about what your opponents are thinking.