View Single Post
Old 01-01-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Did I misplay this hand?

[ QUOTE ]
The problem I see with calling is that it gives the button proper odds to call a draw...

[/ QUOTE ]

You worry about "pricing in a draw" when you have a hand that is almost certainly ahead if called, and that you can comfortably call with if reraised. For example, 2 pair or a set with a flush draw on board. In those cases, you would want to make sure that anybody that calls you is making a mistake.

[ QUOTE ]

OK... now I think I get it. You want him to just call at this point, right? Because if he has a hand he's going to bet to protect it and if he's on a draw he'll probably just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. You gain information through his action. People rarely raise with a flush draw... they call or semibluff by pushing. What you want to find out is whether or not the button has AQ or a set. With the action developing in this hand, I think it's very unlikely that either opponent has a flush draw. The original poster folded on the turn because a flush card came... but the reason why his fold was correct is more likely to be because he was already beat on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]

So let's go one step further. Let's say hero and button just called UTG+1's flop bet and a blank fell on the turn instead of a heart. UTG+1 bets $40 again. Same situation, right? I could raise, but if reraised would have to push or fold and pushing just doesn't feel right there, especially on the first hand of the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[ QUOTE ]

One more question. Let's say you're the button in this hand. UTG+1 makes his $40 bet on the flop and hero calls. Would it be right to raise here with any decent hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would typically make a large raise with TPTK under those circumstances.

Irieguy