View Single Post
Old 01-01-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Hand To Flame About

[ QUOTE ]
Check-Raise the turn. Someone always bets for you, and they never 3-bet without having you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]
I considered check-raising the turn, but I don't really like it here. If there is a bet, it will very likely come from the player to my left. He will usually follow through after the betting the flop. This means that my raise will not face anyone with two bets cold, and thus will be unlikely to make anyone fold. It will pull in extra money, but will not increase my chance of winning. If he didn't bet, in this game I thought it would check around fairly often, and sometimes a hand that would have folded if I bet will end up winning (or maybe taking half my pot if someone would lay down an ace, but they might not). So by going for the check-raise, I risk the whole pot in order to potentially collect a few bets. The pot is large and there are a lot of hands I would like to see fold here, so I thought betting was better.

The fact that I will only get 3-bet by a better hand would be useful if I were drawing dead against a better hand, because then I can fold to it and give up nothing in the process. But here, I have a gutshot that may be good for at least half the pot. It would suck to let a guy with a slowplayed set push me off my hand. Or I could call, but then I'm putting in a bet when I know I'm behind and aren't sure if I have any outs. (I don't think anyone in this game would have been aggressive enough here to three-bet with two pair or less, although I suppose it isn't impossible).