View Single Post
Old 12-31-2004, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Math Question re:- the \" Carib Football Poll \"

I don't think you want to pick the most absurd upset on there....but you want to pick the game that you think EVERYONE ELSE thinks is the most absurd that you also think has a reasonable chance of coming through.

To that end, I think throwing a few points on T-Tech would have been a good move (I thought their chances were decent actually...see my previous posts where I mention my thoughts that the PAC-10 is overrated).

Since it's a confidence-points pool you can just bet 4 or 5 points on T-Tech...while everyone else is betting 15-20 points on California.

Certainly putting 20 points on T-Tech would have been risking too much...but taking a 5-point shot with them would have been a reasonable strategy I think.

I love confidence-points pools btw. I worked at a place that had 40-50 people on an NFL confidence pool each week and I took it down 2x in one season.
People got mad that I was "just picking the upsets" but I was actually picking situations where it was pretty obvious to me that the consensus-favorite was vastly over-rated (and my opinions were proven correct in the weeks that followed).
So there were a couple of teams where everyone thought the favorite was worth at least 8 to 10 confidence points...and I put anywhere from 2 to 5 on the underdog.
They lose their 10 point game and I'm winning 5. Not bad at all.