View Single Post
Old 12-30-2004, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Negative EV Play

Since I wasn't there I can't weigh the likelihood of them tying Greg up or something....but since originally posting about this situation I have since decided that Greg probably did the right thing.
Either way, he only had a couple seconds to decide anyway and my opinion on the matter doesn't mean a whole lot anyway.

But, I am reminded of the fact that this wasn't just a 'normal' robbery type situation. These guys knew who Greg was certainly....and Greg has already indicated that he saw their faces and they knew this.

In Venezuela, some pricks kidnapped the mother of major-league baseball pitcher Ugueth Urbina (of the Detroit tigers) in Sept.
The reason they kidnapped his mom was because they knew that Urbina, as a major-league pitcher, has a high enough salary to pay a lofty ransom. I think Urbina makes $3-mil/yr or so.
Evidently, it's a very real concern with the families of top baseball and soccer players in VZ (and I think also families of top soccer players in Columbia as well).

I don't know what happened with the Urbina situation...but I can very easily see some dopey robbers somehow setting a high ransom for Raymer's millions...and, to that end, SERIOUSLY putting Raymer's life in jeopardy.

Good job Greg...and, again, I'm glad everything turned out well.