View Single Post
Old 12-30-2004, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Key holdem odds to memorize

[ QUOTE ]
I initially posted this in small stakes, where I participate, but then I remembered this forum.

I thought this might be a helpful thread for many players, myself included. I actually have a set of about 40 flashcards that I sometimes review on the bus when Im bored. Anyhow, I thought I'd tap the 2+2 talent pool to increase my flashcards. So here goes my first helpful odd to get the list going:

Odds of flopping a flush draw or made flush with 2 suited cards: 8:1 against

(By the way, does anybody know the odds of flopping two pair or trips holding two unpaired cards?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand the usefulness of a lot of these ratios. Sure, knowing how often you'll flop your set, or hit your flush on the turn/river is useful, but past that this kind of knowledge seems pretty limited to me.

For example, when holding un-paired cards, what good does it do you to know how often you flop trips? First off, it is so small that you'll never be able to consider this probability in terms of pot odds, and secondly when you do flop trips you still don't know if it's any good (example: you hold 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], flop comes 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]).

This kind of thing is absolutely necessary in blackjack, but it seems to me that there is limited use in hold 'em. (You'd be much better off teaching yourself speed-arithmetic tricks than you are memorizing flashcards, IMO)

Thanks,
Kyle