View Single Post
Old 12-26-2004, 02:02 PM

Default Re: 4 Color Decks in B&M?

[ QUOTE ]
Mason wrote a good essay on why 4-colors would be a bad idea B&M. To sum it up, it gives a huge advantage to front-loaders (people who are adept a catching a glimpse of the cards when the dealer pitches a bit too high). All the front loader would need to see is color to give him a much bigger edge in certain hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason's essay was right on.

Anyway, several years ago at least one major LA Card Club was experimenting with the four color deck. People were critical of the "shade of green" for clubs or that the "blue wasn't right" in diamonds. At the time I thought people were just resistant to change and/or being silly-nit picky, the four color deck (which I use online of course) seemed so much better.

After a few weeks the four color deck was withdrawn ostensibly because of the "colors aren't quite right" complaints and Mason's Essay came out (probably in Card Player) a few months later. After reading it I realized that it was a good thing it died and whenever the idea resurfaces I use his arguments against any rebirth.

~ Rick