View Single Post
Old 12-24-2004, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Interesting question for football fans

Ok, first off I've been writing exams, so I'm gonna have to give this one a major BUMP.

Secondly, There is NO WAY Vick runs a 4.20. Actually, I should rephrase that. Vick could run a 4.20 under the following conditions: He is wearing spikes on a world class track outdoors with an illegal tailwind. Then he might run a 4.2. The fact of the matter is that 40 times are complete BS. Both Terrel Owens and Jerry Rice have NEVER run faster than a 4.6.

Anyway, forty times are just a pet peeve of mine because they are so overrated.

Champ Baily would be a better asset to a team than Micheal Vick. Contrary to what some would say, anyone who has played football knows that tackling LOOKS easy, but it is probably the hardest physical skill to teach, and definately the most valuable. The ability to "throw darts" pales in comparison to the ability to hawk balls and make tackles. If I'm not mistaken Champ played some reciever in college and regardless has vastly superior ball skills to Vick.

Anyway, off the top of my head, these are the best three answers as I see them.

1) Julius Peppers, simply because he is the best combination of size, speed and skill that the league has ever seen. I might take Ray Lewis in his prime, but his edge is more mental.

2) Jonathan Ogden, Ed Reed. For a two player team you have to realize that you're playing against a team made the same way. Therefore your best option would be to pick the best big strong guy and the best athletic fast guy (ball skills are essential here). The thing about Ogden is he is so huge (6'9" 340lbs) and dominating as a blocker. You could play three or four Ogdens with thier hands in the dirt on D to keep blockers off your Reeds who would run rampant, picking off every second pass. Ogden also has 1 or 2 career touchdowns as a tight end. It's hard to defend a 6'9" guy in the red zone. The nice thing about Reed is that he hawks balls better than anyone in the league, has the best speed of any real safety in the game and has the toughness to play runningback and linebacker with Ogden eating up the other teams big boys.

The answer to number three is obviously the same as two. With a team like this the passing game becomes irrelevent. Your defense with that many Reeds pass rushing, bumping and playing cover 2 over the top would catch more passes than the receivers. You could stay in a cover two all game long because of Ogden stuffing the run and you could bring a couple Reeds off the corner. On offense, just run off tackle every play with a 3 or 4 tight end set and let Ogden take you to the promised land.

And no, we were not intoxicated in any way when having this conversation.