View Single Post
Old 12-23-2004, 11:05 PM

Default A hand for some commentary

A hand for some commentary:

Background: I was playing low buy in turbos at Stars with a reasonable degree of success (40% ITM, 20% ROI for two hundred and some SnGs) and I decided to move to the non turbos and try ring games at the same time and it totally messed up my game. I lost confidence in myself that I didn't completely suck and I'm trying to get that confidence back so I'd appreciate some commentary on this hand.

Even if the commentary is that I suck because that's always an option.

Thanks,

$5.5 SnG on UltimateBet six players left.

I am UTG with about 1200
Chip Leader is in the big blind with about 3500
Second Stack is about 2100
Two other stacks about 1200 one of about 800.

Blinds are 75/150

I get nines UTG and raise to 450. Folded around to big blind who goes all in.

I call.

He has AT of diamonds.

Flop is 5 J 6 two spades, no diamonds.

Turn is Kd

River is Th and I'm out.

I had him read as the best player at the table, tight, aggressive, willing to raise with crap but not stupid enough to stick with it to the end. I am sure that he recognized the 450 bet on my part as my standard 3xBB opener. Previously he had attempted to steal when I was in the big blind and I had successfully fended him off and I think that's the only hand I played with him.

So he's got to figure I could have any of the hands that someone would raise with under the gun in one of these. He neither calls nor makes a reasonable raise, but goes all in which tells me he doesn't really want to get called. If he had aces, kings or queens, I'm thinking he calls and waits for me to bet on the flop. So I figure his most likely hands are Jacks, tens, or an ace and there are a hell of a lot more ways he can make the latter.

If I fold I'm roughly even with the shortstack looking up at four guys. If I call and lose I'm out. If I call and win I'm roughly even with the big stack.

On the other hand, if I'm ahead I'm only slightly ahead, and if I'm behind I'm way behind.

Thoughts?