Thread: Am I nuts?
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2004, 12:25 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!
Default Am I nuts?

Ok, I was at a .25/.50 table at Absolute last night. I was doing fairly well, having tripled my $5 buy-in. Near the end of my session, I was in the SB with a pair of 4s, and there were 4 others besides myself entering the pot; it was raised, but since everyone was calling, I figured a small pair was worth the extra bet to see the flop.

The flop came out AAK (suits don't matter), and it was checked around. Turn was a J, and I decided to bet out. Everyone called. Flop was a 7, and I bet again. This time, it goes fold, raise (from the PF raiser), fold, fold. I call; maybe I could've folded there, but given the lack of aggression on the flop and turn, I thought he might be trying to buy the pot at the end, so I put in another BB.

Raiser shows AK for the flopped boat. Well, I shrugged and told myself, "Them's the breaks!" I then typed in "vnh" or some such. A couple of seconds later, the guy who had <font color="red">folded</font> between myself and the raiser typed back, "ty". The guy who actually <font color="red">won</font> the pot said nothing! That brought me up short, and I thought, "Could these two players possibly be the same person, making a mistake and typing his "ty" in the wrong chat box?" I left the table a hand or two later, without putting any more money in.

I emailed support asking if they thought it was worth looking into, and I got back a reply saying, "Our system won't allow two people from the same IP address to play in the same table." and thanking me for playing at Absolute. Well, I can think of a couple of ways for two computers in the same room to be on different IP addresses, so that didn't really give me much comfort.

I know it's a micro table, but it bothers me that they didn't even seem to think about the possibility; he/they could have just been practicing for bigger game later on. Do you guys think I should follow up on this, or am I just being paranoid?

I suppose it's possible I was just mistaken; unfortunately, Absolute's HH doesn't include the chat, so I couldn't double-check that after I left the table (I didn't think to take a snapshot of the chat before then; I thought the HH would have it, or at least that Absolute could and would look it up). I don't think I was mistaken, but I guess I have to allow for that possibility.

-Mike