View Single Post
Old 12-20-2004, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Yet another starting hand question O8

[ QUOTE ]
I was criticized for playing a couple of hands today

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Sam - I wonder who criticized you. Usually opponents who criticize would have done better had you done something else. Their comments are usually more self-serving than for your benefit. However, there is often at least a grain of truth in their remarks.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm am in the lead with approx 3800 in chips, more than twice the stack of the guy in second.

blinds are now 50/100.

I'm first to act and limp in with [Ks 8h 8s 7h]

[/ QUOTE ]

(1) You would do well to put some thought into starting hand selection.

(2) Tend to play fewer hands from early position than from late position.

(3) When you are the chip leader in a tournament, use your chip lead to your advantage. In other words, use your chip lead to intimidate your opponents. In other words, raise when you enter the action rather than limp. Note carefully that this is very much different from ring game Omaha-8 play.

(4) Since BB is short stacked, anticipate the strong possibility of BB raising all-in before the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Couple people fold, OTB raises, SB folds, BB calls for 37 more (putting him all in)..so I call to see the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Terrible idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

When you get the chip lead in a tournament, you don’t want to dribble it away. There’s an insidious illusion involved here: it seems as though you have plenty of chips. But because the blinds will soon double, and then will soon double again, your chip advantage is actually less substantial than it may seem.

In my humble opinion, you should wait for a better opportunity (better hand, better position, better candidate for intimidation) and then instead of limping, you should pounce.

Buzz