Thread: 80-160 87s hand
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2004, 11:38 PM

Default Re: 80-160 87s hand

Split reply, sorry. I think in tight agressive games at the higher limits my way of playing this hand is crucial. How are you ever going to get called when you flop a set or turn a str8 or flush if you never take this flyer? The combined possibilities of him having a worse hand than 8's, a better hand but one he would have to fold to such agression (TT,JJ,KQ?), and the chance of you drawing out makes this a perfect spot for a semibluff turn check raise. I think you are leaving a lot of EV on the table by playing this hand so passively on the turn not only in this specific situation but for the sake of future action.

As far as betting the river, I just don't get it. Then again you wouldn't even consider anything but check call for the size of the pot if you checkraised the turn and he called.

In fact I would have checkraised with anything other than A/k on this turn, but then again I'm used to getting raised by overs and playing live where a lot more players will lay down top pair and or second pair than on line.

FJM