Thread: 80-160 87s hand
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2004, 11:21 PM

Default Re: 80-160 87s hand

OK, I'll describe eactly how I would have played the hand and why. I'll leave it to others to let me know why I'm wrong.

I think the preflop call with 87 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is fine once the CO cold calls the UTG raise. Getting 5.5 to 1 against what I would hope is two sets of broadway cards or maybe a middle pair and the above.

I definitely would have led the flop with the intention of checkraising any promising turn card. You are getting no value for your raise out of position once the cut off folds on the flop. At this level(live at least) two bets on the flop has absoulutely zero bluffing value, any play is going to have to come on the turn.

When the eight hits you have such a huge draw that checkraising is a must. This C/R would be especially strong after leading the flop and flat calling any raise. A good agressive player would probably muck 99, TT, JJ, and possibly KQ when checkraised on the turn. The straightening board only helps your play.

Summary: lead flop, call any flop raise, checkraise the turn definitely when you make a pair and an open ender (13 outs v. KK,AA, AQ,).

If I got called on the turn I would check call with no improvement. The Pot odds are just to high to muck, and the chance of it going bet call on the end when your opponent holds a higher pair is too great. This is definitely a better spot to induce a bluff than it is to make this thin value bet or perhaps stone cold bluff.

I think this is almost the default way to play this hand the more I think about it.

FJM