View Single Post
Old 12-17-2004, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Death Penalty Poll

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That's why people say the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison. It is, because of all the appeals. It's expensive to file things in court.

[/ QUOTE ]
The appeals are part of it, but not the whole picture. Original trials of death penatly cases are MUCH more expensive than non-death penalty cases.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's too much to ask that sentences be carried out properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, and the proper procedure is to exhaust all appeals. That is the process that is due under our laws and the Constitution says (in a couple of places) that no person shall be denied life without due process of law.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should explain to a victim's family why it would be wrong for their relative's killer to die.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would explain to them that he will be locked away for the rest of his life in prison. I would explain (under Elwood's laws) that he will have no chance to ever leave prison. I would explain that he will be forced to work and the proceeds of his labor will benefit future victims of violent crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should read my post at the bottom of this thread.

I am not necessarily for the death penalty, if there was a legitimate life in prison sentence that punished criminals enough. But often times, in states like California, parole boards recommend that lifer murderers be paroled.

Life sentences rarely mean life, in most states.

The laws need to be made clearer. They need to be amended to say that parole should NOT be an option for murderers.

Murderers need to kept in their cells for almost 24 hours a day with recreation 3 times a week, for one hour at most.

Of course most liberals would have a gigantic problem with this.