View Single Post
Old 12-15-2004, 01:45 PM

Default Re: One edit

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, what I would do in this situation. I would limp with the A4 and try and see a flop. Why? Because I am probably a better postflop player than the opponent. If he pushes, then there is nothing I can do and I just lost 150. It does give me information that he will push when I limp which I could use later.

If he doesn't raise, now there are two ways I can win his blind, by making a hand or stealing the pot. After the flop, you will be much more likely to be able to steal the pot and it will cost you a lot less to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really see how it will cost you less to steal the pot once you get to a flop here. With 600 in the pot and 1410 chips left, what kind of bet are you going to make to steal here? Any pot sized bet and you are committed to the pot. Anything less and you are asking for a raise even more than you were by completing the SB. I'm also not so sure that it will be easier to steal with a flop out. Your opponent is going to pair the flop around 1/3rd of the time, and will often call/raise when he does. Even the loose opponent I dreamed up in the previous reply only called with 25% of hands.

Even if the big stack only pushes back pre-flop about 1/3 of the time, its going to be almost impossible to make enough chips back the other 2/3 of the time to make it a more EV move to limp here.

Maybe with deeper stacks I could justify limping into hands to take advantage of superior postflop play, but the blinds are just too high to really gain a significant advantage postflop now. You have 5xBB, it is a pre-flop game now.