View Single Post
Old 12-14-2004, 09:33 PM

Default Re: 2/5 NL hand from the Taj

Hi doubleas,

I think you played it fine, assuming by "maniac/weirdo," you mean very loose, very aggressive, unpredictable, and not very good (this last part is fairly important). I think the advice you've gotten so far is pretty bad. I get the feeling from your post that you lost this hand to a flopped boat, and you're wondering if your perception of his style made you play too loose. If he's maniacal/weird, then no, you might look at a boat, or pocket nines or J8 here, just to mention a few ridiculous hands he could show you. Your line on all streets was fine (though I'd be comfortable getting more money in on the flop and/or the turn), and the pre-flop calls were mandatory, assuming most stacks were 100 X BB or more. I like your lead bet of 300 on the river.

tpir wrote,

[ QUOTE ]
against a reasonable opponent i think you could lead out with a bet on the turn and fold to a huge re-raise

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this at all. I mean, you could do this, but I wouldn't recommend it against any but the most utterly predictable of opponents. You don't want to have to fold your very good draw (2 outs to J's full and 9 to a flush) without being positive you're drawing dead, which you can't be against a maniac.