View Single Post
Old 12-13-2004, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Big semi-bluff vs. known overpair

I find his fold on the river interesting as he pretty much committed himself on the turn. In fact, I think he played the hand very poorly. I cant think of a hand he should call with on the turn. I think he either folds or pushes. There are two cases: 1) you have a made hand or 2) you are bluffing or semi-bluffing.

In the case of a made hand - you are likely to go allin on the river. If there is a reraise hand by you on the turn that you are not likely to go allin with on the river then his turn allin might win him the pot immediately.

In the case of a bluff or semibluff - he is going to pick up the pot immediately or make you pay a very steep price to draw. He cant expect you to bluff on the river after his call so there is not much added value in getting you to fire again. More likely too is that you have a draw if you dont have a made hand.

There are very few scenarios where I think a call by him is warranted here.

Now, to the river bet or yours. You were at the table so you had the read. However, it seems to me when a tightish player calls a turn bet like that then he is going to call the river too. I would rather steal the pot when the opponent is weak instead of forcing them to make a big laydown. However, he does need to laydown about half the time to make this play profitable (+ you are likely to get paid off on your good hands).