Thread: Top pair fold
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2004, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Top pair fold

[ QUOTE ]
Well, Consider me bitch slapped.

Thanks for your responses, especially to those of you that have been responding to all of my posts lately. (Shillx, Entity, etc)

I knew my choices here were to fold or raise, and I understand why calling this would be wrong, but I'm still hung up on the small pot. (I'm not arguing against you folks, I'm honsetly just trying to understand).

For those of you familiar with SSH, check out the top of page 118, The example of top pair with an overcard. I would hold this hand higher than my example, and Ed labels it 'marginal' because of the draws against it. (and, of course, we are to fold 'marginal' hands in small pots, lest we be slapped by Ed...)

Combined with the fact that I was bet into, with 5 players still in it, I still see this as a good fold?
(If the pot were bigger, say 10SBs, I think I would have raised it).

Again, I'm not saying you're all wrong (in fact, I realize how unlikely that is...), but I'm still trying to understand.

Thanks again for your continued thoughts...

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't have that hand on me, but from memory, I can say that your hand really isn't as vulnerable as you're making it out to be. You've got top pair and a backdoor straight on a twotone, two-straight board. There are lots of cards that can come that can change the dynamic of how you feel about your hand, but there's no way you can just fold this flop.

I'll go grab my copy of SSH in a bit and elucidate the differences if nobody else does.

Rob