View Single Post
Old 12-10-2004, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Convince me not to go pro

Hi TM--

1. Those few years of my first job was a magical time. I learned real life lessons, made life-long friends, and actually learned something about what I studied in school. That experience was one of the best in my life. Your experience might not be as good as mine was, but I hate to see you miss the chance.

2. If you don't succeed at poker, or have some other reason to quit poker and join the real world, you will be at some disadvantage. You need to get out and get some experience in your field in case you need to get a job later. I think that you could get 3 years of real work under your belt and then take a shot with the confidence that you can find a real job if you have to.

3. Aside from the value of corporate benefits, there is something very soothing about the knowledge that bad days at work pay the same as good days. This knowledge will help your poker game.

4. Use the time working at a real job to improve your game and build your bankroll.

5. You need a pile of cash to confidently go pro. Something like 24 months expenses and 500 BB at your chosen level. Yeah, it could be done for less, but playing scared is not EV+.