View Single Post
Old 12-10-2004, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Why do you guys play MTTs?

I may be in the minority, but I exclusively play MTT and by virtue of that they must be my most profitable part of poker. I used to play limit omaha, and while that is a steady and consistent way to make money, it is so mechanical and not nearly as engaging as MTT.

Now that i have done fairly well at MTT I could probably play omaha at a higher limit and make as much as playing tournaments, but from what i've heard about moving up in Omaha limits is that the games aren't nearly as soft at 3/6 or 5/10. I think that a player dedicated to MTT can do well, especially if you start with a limited bankroll.

In the past 4 months i've been able to turn 200 into 3000ish, which i don't think would have been possible playing exclusively ring games (maybe for some, but not for me). I might not have a large enough sample size of tournaments (but is such a sample size even possible?) I've played in nearly 90 MTT, won one and made around 10 final tables with probably around a dozen other cashes. For people with more experience, is this unsustainable? I generally play low buy in tournaments the 5+1 on party or the 9+1 qualifiers, now that my bankroll is bigger i've started playing the 20+2s. The competition seems stronger at the end, but not really until then.

So am in the minority or are there any others in the same boat? and I guess more importantly, is my boat going to tip over? Thanks for your Time,

Nathan

by the way...i am SNG impotent, i have a higher cash rate in MTT...not sure why, i've played around a dozen and never cashed so i stopped..