View Single Post
Old 12-09-2004, 10:58 PM

Default Tough Call with AQo after Flop

I have AQo in the BB and UTG (TPP) raises. I call and flop TPTK -- then I'm unexpectedly baffled. Help me out.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero ???

Seems like an easy bet. But then I got to thinking about UTG, who is a weak-tight player. His raise UTG indicates a strong hand. I'd put him on nothing weaker than AA-JJ, AK. And I'm behind all those hands except AK, with no outs except the Qs!

My usual thought would be to bet and fold (or call down) to a raise. But I don't think a weak-passive will necessarily raise even with AA in this situation. There's many a calling station who has called me all the way to the river with a set of Js. And I don't think checking is much better for getting information.

So what's my strategy? What am I trying to accomplish here, and how do I get there?

-- Scott