View Single Post
Old 12-09-2004, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Food for thought, bigfishhead

[ QUOTE ]
(2) My mom watched her uncle go through a divorce and lose everything because of his gambling addiction and his losses at poker.

Knowing these 2 things, I told everyone that I "ran a business" instead of played poker. About 6 months ago though, my brother (who is also a pro) and I told my mom and dad that we played poker. At first, my mom was heartbroken. But after we took the time to show her our poker logs and our years of winning money, and after she had a chance to watch it on TV, she accepted it. IN FACT... my mom and dad PLAY POKER now!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

The one person in my family I would not want to know about my poker playing is my uncle. He is was a gambling addict many years ago, and eventually got into Gamblers Anonymous and is now very involved in the organization itself.

I could probably still convince him that I know what I am doing, that I am a winning player, and would not play if I weren't. But the problem is that I believe he would then feel I am taking advantage of others, some of which may be gambling addicts at risk of losing everything.