Thread: Choose Your Own
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2004, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Choose Your Own

I disagree in that I think a big wired pair/two high cards have to be raised on second street to get the pot heads up against any limper/bring-in.

On early streets, heads up play was virtually impossible in this game, perhaps because of the betting structure, the low stakes, or the conviviality of the group.

But one caveat: beware of multiway pots.

Multiway pots are indeed dangerous, but they made the game extremely interesting. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The multiway game is replete with hand-reading opportunities, not only from boards and betting, but from card choices as well. Since this was a new game in a social atmosphere, many of the players were doing their thinking out loud, so it was interesting to see how they were approaching the game.

The average winning hand was probably two pair or better, with plenty of straights and flushes, and occassional full houses, shown down, so Choose Your Own was more attractive to the players than the average 5-stud game.

I think playing Choose Your Own as lowball would make it too simple, but an 8- or 9-handed game played hi-lo might be worth looking at if it had a different picking order.

Thanks for calling this game to our attention. It was well worth playing.