Thread: Stuck in limbo
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2004, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Stuck in limbo

If you feel like moving up and have the BR to do it go ahead. Don't worry about your BB/100. Since you're not that big a winner at .50/1 I might recommend a bigger than 300BB BR, perhaps 400BB so that you can get the feel of 1/2 without having to immediately jump back down with your tail between you legs. The variance should be worse at 1/2 (it will seem like it is even if it isn't because the bets are doubled)

I recently moved up to 1/2 and had 7.24/100BB at .50/100 through 13K hands. That's not why I moved up though. That stat by itself is bunk. The reason why I moved up was that I was confident in my skill. I felt like my play was at a level where I could handle better competition. I had been a steady winner all along but didn't move up due to lack of confidence. I lacked confidence because though I was winning I didn't understand the game well enough to explain why I was winning. Now I think I'm "getting it" and the next step in my education needs to be at 1/2.

My play has improved thanks to the fact that I use pokertracker religioulsy to scout and monitor my opponents. I "watched" thousands of hands at 1/2 before I moved which gave me great data on many of the regulars. I use this data to help me select tables now. I also fixed an aggression leak with the help of spider and ent. (thx guys) I wouldn't move up if I were you unless I was feeling very confident that you can consistently beat the level your currently are at. Finding leaks you didn't know were there will be much more expensive at 1/2.