View Single Post
Old 12-02-2004, 12:08 AM

Default Re: SSHE Book Club Discussion - Part Two: Preflop Concepts

A2s is worth playing in a loose low limit game because for every time you have to fold when the flop hits do to domination, you will more than make your investment back when a flush draw hits the flop.

Yes. But you prefer a passive game, with loose multiway pots. Often at 3/6 Party Poker tables, I don't play these up front because of the aggression. And I'll limp only to have someone raise behind me, and now I'm playing dominated and out of position in a shorthanded pot.

So really A2s-A7s are hands that REALLY depend on table texture.

Pocket pairs 22-88 are more forgiving however, because their play is less positionally dependant and also can play in shorthanded pots if you expect your opponents to incorrectly give you too much action to the river.

Without a read on your opponents however, it's better to stick to large multiway pots for pocket pairs. But they stand up fine to playing for two bets preflop if it's very multiway. In fact, with 4-5 players in the pot already, I will usually raise my pocket pairs from late position/blinds, which is a nice play that SSHE doesn't mention.