View Single Post
Old 11-27-2004, 10:25 PM

Default Poker and social misfits

Every poker player I meet that is any good is either a) an enormous nerd, b) obsessive compulsive c) a raging egomaniacal douchebag, or d) all of the above.

Usually, these characteristics are accompanied by a) a serious weight problem, b) poor personal hygiene, c) badly underdeveloped social skills, d) extreme physical unattractiveness, or e) all of the above.

Is it possible to be a cool, socially acceptable, yet winning poker player? I can't even think of a single pro that I would want to hang out with except for perhaps Daniel Negraneau and Howard Lederer (and if I were a woman I sure as hell wouldn't date either of them!). And all the winners I meet are ... losers.

Now you're probably reading this and getting all huffy about being a loser yourself, so you're probably going to flame me for being a troll or whatever, and I suppose I can't stop you. But I am asking the question seriously because I am more than a bit worried about what poker does to a person. Right now I don't have any of the issues listed above (whew), but am I destined to become one of the fish in the social sea?