View Single Post
Old 11-27-2004, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Short Run / Long Run

May be I am off with my 10 year figure. I was hoping to get some insightful conversationn about this interesting topic. But you pretend to be an expert and trivialize my original thought.

"(though often, 10K is enough)" - where did this come from? I'm sure you're an expert in these matters, that's why they're trivial, right? <do you detect sarcasm?>

Playing on the internet is not the same as live play. On the internet people multi-table, don't pay attention (but you don't know if they're paying attention or not). Both of these factors skew results. I'm sure there are plenty of other factors that taint results on the internet.

You don't estimate your win rate. Your win rate is your win rate. You estimate your population standard deviation (something you never attain) with your sample standard deviation. But it appears the technical details are beneath you.

What I'm saying is that what you experience can only suggest whether your win rate is positive or negative. You can only be confident to some degree, you can NEVER be certain.

I'm not imagining anything. Statistics is far more significant then you give it credit. If you can't appreciate that and ponder how it fits in with your own experience playing, I doubt you can beat the game unless you're one of these guys with natural talent - I'm not.

The formulas don't help me think about the concepts and there are better places (more efficient) to find technical reference then this site.

Anyway ... if anyone has some insight or constructive criticism, I'd like to hear it. I just don't like it when people seem to only want to flex their noodle.

-DP