View Single Post
Old 11-20-2004, 04:39 PM

Default Re: 88 on small coordinated board with a huge field

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone seems to agree to bet on the flop. However, I'm convinced that is completely wrong. See the SSH section on overpairs (185-189). This was a big part of my play that I changed because of the book. If I bet out on the flop, most people will call with ANYTHING even just one overcard because they're getting great odds. Any 9, T, J, Q, K, A, or [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] would most likely make my hand not good. That concept of giving a free card doesn't really apply here. Like SSH says, it IS +EV to bet on the flop because I have the best hand, but it is MORE +EV to bet on the turn when I see a safe card because I have more pot equity and I reduce their odds to draw, giving incorrect odds to gutshots and overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this argument out with entity and some others a long while back in a very similar situation. I lost. I've been meaning to resurface the argument after I read that section. Let me find a link to that one so we can see what the right play is.

edit: Here's the thread. These two hands are similar, and I'm still not sure what the right move is.