View Single Post
Old 11-20-2004, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Garbage hands with great implied odds?

The worst thing I see about your play is that, after the worst possible card came on the turn, you pushed. After getting called in two places on the J-high, 2-diamond flop, you gotta figure at least one of them has either a jack, two diamonds, or better (set, two pair, overpair, whatever). Even with just one caller, I'd shut down with two tens with an overcard and a flush out there. Against someone who always assumes I have a hand when I call a raise, I'll absolutely call with crap because, when it hits, it'll be well-disguised and they'll happily pay me off.

Preflop hand selection is highly table-dependent. As an extreme example, if nobody plays anything but AA, I'll raise any two cards and get the blinds the vast majority of the time. Then if I get called, I know to shut down without a monster flop. If people will call my raises with any two, I'm certainly not going to keep pushing an underpair when I get multiple callers on the flop. Wait until you have the flush yourself to make that bet and you'll almost certainly get paid off.