View Single Post
Old 11-19-2004, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Discipline - Please Help

Well, I am both the very best and the very worst at the aspects of poker related to discipline.

Some things I am fantastic at. Those are mostly esoteric and theoretical, thus are not going to be of much use to you. For instance, if we were going to play craps (not that I do, just an example) I wouldn't care if we played pass or don't pass. The percentages are identical. If you offered me exactly 4.1:1 on a flush draw with one card to come and no implied odds, I might either call or fold, depending on my mood. Of course I would know it makes absolutely no difference in the universe. I also am pretty darn good at calculating in my head the theoretical implied odds when calling preflop bets in no limit.

However, when it comes to things like bankroll management, I have a history of NOT being very good at it. This is a bit odd, because I am 100% efficient at telling YOU precisely what the correct and reasonable bankroll requirements are. But then you should do as I SAY, not as I DO. Despite my "advanced knowledge of bankroll concepts," I have been fairly poor at applying them to my own play, and have from time to time gone bust because of it. Most of us on these forums can say the same thing, I am certainly not the only one.

You should however follow at least a GENERAL plan for bankroll management, and NOT go over-budget. Every time I decide NOT to take a shot at that higher limit game (that I know I don't have the bankroll for) I wind up feeling good about it later. Lately I have been playing exclusively the $100 buy-in no limit games. I KNOW I have more than enough money for these games. I beat them quite consistently. Sure, I could take on a session of a $500 game over at the palms, but my discipline has been good lately, and I am staying where I am at. Much of my bankroll has been spent lately on other things, and several losses in a row at $500 no limit would really F#$% things up for me. But I have PLENTY of money for $100 no limit, and what the hey, I am beating up on it quite consistently.

Let me tell you this too... *I* am in a MUCH better situation to "take a shot" right now than someone (perhaps like you) who is relying on their poker income to make the rent. The thing is, I am working, and doing quite well. Should I take a shot and lose, I will get paid again very soon. If you take these shots with a non-replaceable bankroll, you wind up screwed. You'll lose so much that you will be forced to drop down to lower stakes, with smaller win rates, and larger standard deviations from all the super-loose players. No, if you are comfortable playing 6-12, DON'T take a shot at 20-40 or even 15-30. STAY at your 6-12. Take the OCCASIONAL shot at 8-16. Leave the middle limit red chip games ALONE.

Trust me on this, I have gone bust several times over the years, I DO know from experience. Just because I often can't listen to my own advice doesn't mean that I am not right. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al