View Single Post
Old 11-18-2004, 02:36 PM

Default 10x Rule (again) - leak in my game

[ QUOTE ]

Excuse me for being a little harsh, but when reading posts, (and this goes for everyone) it is CRITICAL that you read the limit the hand was played at.
I will often give directly opposing advice to myself about an identical hand played at a different limit.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Lori is correct but just as importantly, is WHERE you are playing.

After strongly arguing against the 10x rule a few months back, it slowly slipped into my game and became (temporarily) my biggest leak. My mistake, (I believe) was following advice more suitable for Party than for Stars.

I play mainly at Stars (usually the $50 and $100). S&Gs OFTEN last upwards of 150 hands. It is not unusual to have 4 people left at 100 hands played.

At Stars the blinds rise every 10 minutes. The structure at PARTY is SOOOOO different where the blinds rise every 10 hands.

Early on, this is no big deal. Late game 10 hands with 3 or 4 players left, can take 2 minutes. Bottom line, 10x may be a good rule at Party but at Stars there is much more going on and the slower BB increase late game means several things:

1. With only 10x BB left in your hand you have far more potential hands remaining than at Party.
2. It's easier to get a read on opponents
3. Thus, small (eg 2x) raises often win the pot.
4. Against many opponents, raising 2x/3x and being reraised, it is often clear you must (correctly) fold - and you can often have some certainty on whether it is a steal or not.
5. Patience still rewards late game (yes of course you must get more aggressive as people disappear).
6. etc etc etc (sorry tired)

One may argue that the 10x rule still apllies but you need higher standards at Stars. Maybe. Still considering this.

But people coming from Party to Stars and then getting crazy with ATs, etc. will struggle hugely.

gl