View Single Post
Old 11-17-2004, 08:11 PM

Default Re: playing a set when it\'s obvious you have a set

I like min raise for the rep of an Ace. I find mid level players, like the one described, will call with A/9 or better with this lay. He'll want to see another card for the ace alone, so you don't want to run him off, but if you're confident he won't bust you by the river, just milk him down. Obviously this won't work on better players, or aggressive players who will be coming at you anyway, but why chase him off or let him get suspicious of the trap? The min raise is just to keep him committed to the later bets.
I'm not trying to beat anyone with a stick on this play, I'm just trying to wean a little money out of a guy that doesn't want to pay to show down. There are a ton of reasons why you could be betting min raise here, and I like the weak representation for a constant call. He needs two runners to win, so you can give him the first bet for free, but if you raise the turn, he'll probably run there. finessing a little more out of him on the flop tends to keep him in for the long run if he calls there.
Again, that's just my opinion.
If you disagree, that's fine, but say more than "I disagree." I'm interested to hear how other players get the maximum pay off in this situation. Again, good question.