View Single Post
Old 11-17-2004, 07:33 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default One way to improve your game...

This has been said before, but i think it's been awhile.

Say you're playing live 4-8. You have a roll of about 3-4k. Not enough to really move up, but...

Take about $3-500 and take a shot at 10-20. You'll likely lose right off the bat. The amount of money alone you'll likely play tighter than you should. That's ok. You don't have to lose your whole buy in. I wouldn't go that far. You may even win. But after playing a higher limit like this, it tends to make lots of things very clear that may have been clouded in lower limits.

Also, psychologically, it can help you play better, monetary-wise, when you go back to your normal limit. It may make your main limit seem alot easier to play. It did for me when i did this.

When i first did this way back, i immediately felt like i learned alot in doing it. I got shelled when i did it. But it was money well spent, imo. I think it works better live than online, but that may just be my bias/preference. I've noticed every limit i try above my normal limit, makes the previous limit that much easier. By a great margin.

Part of it is you may realize just how little your opponents think compared to the next higher limits. So you may not overthink yourself in giving players at said limit credit for actual sound play.

Anyways, just an idea to ponder.

b