View Single Post
Old 11-15-2004, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Becoming a professional player

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I mean most professional players don't have mainstream job skills..

Huh? All the ones I know had jobs, have degrees and were often successful at what they did. How you came up with this one, I have no idea, it's one of the stupidest things I've read in a while.

Peace,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

You are basically stating that the people you know were semi pros, since they had jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was tek who said "Learn to read and learn to reserve judgement."

Joe's post could be interpreted to say "these guys had degrees and real jobs before they quit to become full time pros." The use of the past tense suggests that their real jobs existed at a time prior to their status as full time poker pros, and have since ceased to exist.

-

That said, most of the people that I've seen who are professional players are utter degenerates. The online, clean-living, college-educated poker pro is a new thing, and I don't think there's that many outside of 2+2 and the pro NL tour. Most pros squeeze out a small living from 3-6 or 4-8 games, coupled with disability or pension or living with mom.

And I say "most" here because I think there's more of the people I described working full-time at poker than there are WPT/etc tourney pros and 2+2ers. I think that's the heart of this discussion: how many fall into these two major categories? Are there other categories?