View Single Post
Old 11-12-2004, 07:58 AM

Default Call me stupid, but ...

... there's one thing I don't understand: why do you expect to auto-win with a one-pair hand in a loose game? From my 2 months of experience, TPTK can be a big hand head-up, and bigger still if you can define your opponent's hand such that you believe you are dominating him - e.g. he has a smaller pocket pair (and misses the flop) or a dominated Ace (and an Ace flops, etc). But I find it's much harder to read loose players to this degree online. And even in live play, I find that a single-pair hand is very vulnerable in super-loose games.

It's easy to call an opponent who sucked out on you a fish, meaning he doesn't play "correctly." But if the game is full of players like that, it's better to develop a strategy to take their money rather than rely on strategies that work better in tight games.

So rather than bemoan the fact that hands like top pair (whether flopped or in the pocket) go down in value in super-loose games, I'd prefer to spend my time thinking about what hands correspondingly go up in value, both preflop and on the flop. To me this gets into some of Sklansky's essays (even though he was talking mostly about limit) discussing why tough players often don't do as well as they should in good games.