View Single Post
Old 11-12-2004, 02:36 AM

Default Re: BisonBison\'s Player Notes File

Since my last post wasn't particularly constructive:

For what it's worth, I think manual notes are much more useful than PT notes.

I used to advance export a bunch of stats, but the the only ones I found were useful were VPIP and FBB (this is mostly useful in 6max--if I'm getting enough steal chances to care in a full game, I look for another game). A few of the stats in Dids's output are pretty useless--particularly stats like BB/100 that take forever to converge. The odds are your PT database doesn't have enough hands on you for your BB/100 to be particularly meaningful, let alone some guy you've played with a few times.

The last time I changed games, I didn't auto-export my stats for that game into my poker client, and I haven't missed them.

I find that players tend to follow relatively consistent patterns after the flop, and noting what lines people employ in a number of common situations makes it much easier to play against them.

Here are a few things I'm sure to note:

(1) The guy sucks (and/or is Evan). He gets a F**ktard note.

(2) I see him call a LP raise out of the blind with some nonsense hand that he turns over at the end. He gets a "loose out of the blind (hand I saw)" note.

(3) He goes insane against steal raises or from the button against cutoff raises. He gets a "maniacal in blind/button defense" note.

(4) He calls on the flop if he's called preflop. He gets a "loose on flop" note.

(5) He has the capacity to turn checkraise bluff. "turn CR bluff"

(6) He call/bets turn as a bluff from EP against a PFR, particularly in the face of a scare card.

(7) I note how I've seen him play flopped open trips.

(8) I note how I've seen him play his flush draws.

(9) I note what sort of hands he's 3-bet with preflop.

(10) I note what sorts of hands he's raised UTG.

(11) I note what sorts of hands he's bet into a PFR on the flop from EP with.

(12) I note what sorts of hands he's checkraised a PFR on the flop with HU.

(13) I note if he's the sort of player who waits until the turn to raise hands like decent top pair in heads up pots v. a light raiser. If he is, particularly if he's also capable of bluffing the turn, I'm less inclined to bet turns with unimproved AK and its ilk than I am against players who will call the flop with anything and don't checkraise the turn.

Anyway, those are a few I thought of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others I write down when I see them.

I've had time to write down all of this stuff while quad-tabling 6max, and I suck at clicking, so it's not like the vast majority of players don't have time to pay attention to this stuff.

Anyway, hope that's helpful.

scrub