View Single Post
Old 11-11-2004, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Which play is worse?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that having the button vs. the BB is worth 10sb?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm afraid to read Tommy's response.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!!

Am I saying that with everybody in there, that the button is 10sb better than the big blind?

No. More like 15sb. Which would make it 5sb better in actual dollars.

Is that the answer you were afraid of? :-)

Let's assume that if I flop nothing with the 94, I fold, from the button or the blind, so all those events are a wash.

The hands/situations that matter for our comparison are anytime I flop a hand with which it would be deemed correct by a 2+2 expert panel to see the turn.

I will group them:

1)Draws: one pair or an open-ender. Sometimes it will be right to see the turn with these hands. And many turns will be seen with these hands. (A potentially interesting point here is that in some situations on the flop, especially with drawing hands, it could be correct to see the turn from the button, but not from the big blind. Does this fact add some value, in sb's, to the button?)

2)Shakey made hands: two pair and trips. By shakey I mean, I will often lose when a four-flush or four-straight hits the board, or if there is big action on the turn and/or river.

3)really good made hands: full houses and quads

I thought about all these situations for a while today, about how betting actually goes down when I have those various hands, up front, or behind. And compared them. How much the good hands win when they win, from the button compared to the blind, and how much they lose when they lose, counting pot sizes in my head. Thinking about rivers, raises, calls, folds, free cards, and folds.

Let's say we did thousands of trials of the 94o, from the button in unraised pots, and from the big blind in single-raised ones, with 10 players in for every flop, of only those hands where I flopped a draw or better, and I played them out, with all variations of boards and players and everything.

I think my score on the button would be higher than my score from the big blind by 5sb's per hand.

Tommy