View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Flopped 2 pair but don\'t know what to do with it

Let's make a couple assumptions. I'm going to present an extreme example. Assume the whole table limps and you limp on the button with 99. SB raises, all call. The flop comes J99. SB bets, all 8 call. Your action. I think that the potential for a turn raise cannot be ignored despite the fact that you have nearly 100% equity. At limits where people fold the turn for a bet, this play has less value. At 3/6 I think this is a fine play. This does go against SSH.

Back to the example at hand, top two on a highly co-ordinated board, with 2 flush. This is not a strong hand. You can't wait till the turn to raise this. I definitely lead the flop. If I check, you are presented with a nice check-raise opportunity. Force people out, charge the draws the max.

If I failed to check-raise the flop, the turn card is terrible. There is nothing wrong with calling down from this point, assuming it's never 2-bets to you.

I will call EP bets from LP with a good hand if I think there is a good chance to trap people for BBs. If the worst possible turn card falls, I see nothing wrong with calling down instead. Example.

As8s in BB. 3 limpers, sb completes. Flop come A87, two hearts. SB leads, all call to me. I'll wait until the turn to raise to trap. If the 9h comes on the turn, calling down becomes my plan instead. Just some thought.